In 2010 and beyond, a number of candidates will be out in the job market. No doubt the number of candidates in the job market increases during an economic crisis when reorganization, restructuring and redundancies have increased the size of the number of candidates seeking work.
Candidates need to get used to alternative methods of job search. The two methods recommended are:
1. Becoming a job Search Entrepreneur
2. Using alternative technology.
Becoming a Job Search Entrepreneur means running your job search campaign like your own business. This can be done through:
- Avoiding mass marketing by not sending your resume to a number of recruiters and not posting your resume on a number of websites. This is a slow and tedious method which often fails to bring any results.
- Conducting extensive research. Here are some areas of research:
i. Corporate literature of the organisation you want to work for. This will provide information about the organisation.
ii. Determine the decision makers within an organisation.
iii. Determine and research on the products and services the organisation offers.
iv. Research on tips for changing jobs.
v. Research whether the organisation wants to see a resume first.
vi. Research on techniques for behavioural interviews. Write down as many possible questions as you can and answer these ensuring that specific behavioural examples are provided.
vii. Research any other relevant information on the organisation.
- Bookmark the site of the organisation and store this in your favorites directory.
- From the information researched, determine your areas of interest.
- Examine the products and services the organisation provides and ensure that those that match your perception, interest and previous experience are identified.
- Make a list of organisations with similar products and services that are located in the geographical area of your interest.
- Identify the specific decision makers in each of these organisations.
- Proceed to develop your strategies to make an approach to the individual organisations.
Alternative Technology is what I mean by using other forms of job search techniques. These include:
- Using sites such as Linked- in to search for and find work.
- Creating a video presentation on yourself and placing this on sites such as U Tube or sending this to a number of decision makers.
- Writing self marketing articles.
- Creating blogs and websites.